3.16.2010

American Christianity

Being an American, and having lived in India for the past three years, and more to come, my view of the world has changed.  I can’t really put my finger on what it is that has changed, but I can say the view has changed my practical and sometimes theological understanding of Christianity. 

My denomination, the Mar Thoma Church, which is based in Kerala, India, has been in various places outside Kerala for many decades.  In the United States, it has grown due to immigrants settling there and procreating.  With these children who have been born in America, who many are now parents themselves, there is a desire for a more American cultured version of our church.  I agree with this sentiment, and I am one of these children of immigrants.  There is also a desire to have native potential ordained ministers of our church go to approved seminaries in America, instead of our denomination’s seminary in Kottayam, Kerala (where I am now).  I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore.

While I dislike Kerala a great deal, and my dislike has only increased since living here, I value this experience, the good and the bad, a great deal.  Partly because of how it has given me a clearer view of the world by having it more distorted.  In other words, clarity has come by realizing I was wrong, but that clarity makes visible something so messed up that I don’t know what right is just yet.

I don’t want to talk about this new understanding I have right now – because I don’t even know what it is.  But what I would like to talk about is what it is that I came from: American Christianity.  By me using this term, it is not a blanket statement on every single Christian in America.  But it is about Christianity as a culture in America.  Even the immigrant churches, as my own, have assimilated this culture to some degree.

As I write this and think about how I can explain this, I realize that it would be too vast to put into words what I observe.  It would require even more research to substantiate what I observe and explain it.  I simply do not have the time or resources to do that.  But let me leave you with a few thoughts.

A common criticism of Americans is that they do not know what is going on in the world.  Their own interests are what matters.  Generally speaking, I think any honest American would agree with that.  However, I would also say that is true for people in India.  I was surprised that Indians were shocked when I described homelessness in America.  “People are homeless in America?”  They have a very limited view.   However, that does not change the fact that we, as Americans, also have a problem.  I believe this is also a problem of American Christianity.

American Christianity has a high view of itself.  They are always right.  The world must know our brand of Christianity, for outside us is darkness.  We are the light.  I went to a Protestant seminary in America which had such a feeling that we are right and we must spread this right doctrine to other Christians in the world.  I agreed with them.  But now I look back and think: how could I have been so wrong?

American Christianity has a feeling that they have the ideal for the world.  This was illustrated in one extreme in those Baptist missionaries who went to Haiti and were accused of kidnapping children, but all they wanted to do was help them.  I won’t argue their case, but what they said they wanted to do was eventually give them a better home in America.  A better life awaits them there.  Is that so?  I’ve also heard of certain non-denominational churches in America who do missions in other countries, and part of what they do is plant churches that follow their brand of Christianity.  They might change the language, but the music, preaching style, spirituality, organization, programs, etc., are implemented as the correct way to do it – it’s the standard.  But is it?

If you’re thinking to yourself: “it is,” then I would say you are an American Christian.

American Christianity is also the new cool thing to do.  It’s a fad.  I think this is more the case in evangelical circles.  While I do believe that evangelicalism is needed in the Church universal, the American version of it has become a beast of its own.  This beast has probably grown as a result of the “mega churches,” commercial Christian music (which includes worship music) and Christian television.  I don’t want to bash these churches, artists and programs, because I do believe they produce good fruit.  But I do have to ask: with the countless revival meetings, mission conferences, community service efforts, etc., how many people have decided to commit their lives to the Lord? – not in the context of salvation, but in the context of Jesus’ Lordship.    How many made themselves available to do anything the Lord requires them to do?  Giving up a career, forfeiting the hope of family life, moving to a developing nation, giving up wealth and security.  Not that those are the only things that the Lord may ask of you, but are people ready to do that if the Lord asks?   I believe there are people like that, and have come to such a conviction of surrender through these mediums.  But of all the people that love going to these revival meetings, mission conferences, etc., the number is too few.  Because the rest only enjoy being a part of these events because, well, it’s cool. It feels good.  I also get to hang out with other cool Christian friends.

I know I’m generalizing.  Someone’s bound to be offended.  But if you are offended, then ask yourself why are you offended?  Is it because it is true, or is it because I misjudged you?  However, I’m not judging individuals.  I’m simply generalizing and then judging a culture.

There have been some good movements in American Christianity though.  I like Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.  I never participated in it, since they didn’t exist where I went to college.  But I do know about it and what they do.  What I appreciate about them is that they began to make people, young students, aware of the social injustices in the world, and encourage action.  It’s no longer just this “feel good” religion of personal security, but it is a proactive faith that actually listens to Jesus Christ and responds to his Gospel in this world.  IVCF has also produced good fruit such as Tim Keller, who has done wonders in New York as a missionary-minded pastor who engages his church in the ministry to and in the city. 

But even this, I’m sad to say, has become glamorized in the way Americans ruin good things.  It has now become cool to be involved in these things.  I’m sure it’s much to Tim Keller’s dismay that even going to Redeemer is considered like “the thing to do,” when the actual mission, and the Lord who called us to that mission, and the devotion to the Lord and his people have been either forgotten or devalued.  Instead, it’s “hey, I went to Redeemer, and it was so awesome!”

It certainly could’ve been awesome.  Having gone on that mission trip probably was an incredible experience.  It could’ve been moving.  It could’ve been God-honoring.  But one year after the fact, how has it affected you?  Are you back to your usual routine of worldly ambitions, and feeling good about where you are in life and with God’s many blessings?  If the answer is no, then I’d say you are a pleasant exception, and I hope there are more of you that can transform American Christianity.

What I have mentioned so far are just some of things that are wrong with American Christianity.  Those are things that are most glaring to me.

But who am I to make these accusations?  I am a product of American Christianity.  Now I am doing what my Protestant seminary did: accusing others of being wrong, and I am right.  I’m just doing it from another angle.

I agree that I’m in no place to judge.  But I never said I have the answers.  In fact, my clarity happened when I realized how unclear it really is.  There are certain truths that I know are true, not out of rationale, but simply of conviction that Jesus Christ is Lord and he has come with saving authority.  But that faith, that conviction, is allowing me to look past my preconceived ideas of what Christianity is meant to be.  Christianity is not meant to be American Christianity. 

For that reason alone I wish my denomination continues to send its American candidates for ordination to Kerala to study for four years.  The world will then hopefully become included in their worldview.  It’s not just about the American way anymore.  And for those who have no desire to pursue ordination, I challenge you to spend at least a year in India or some other country that is classified “underdeveloped.”  Engage with your faith as you see and experience life there.  And perhaps, one day, you will begin to see what I mean by American Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment